April 21th 2018 a new Gas Appliances Regulation (EU) 2016/426 (GAR) for appliances burning gaseous fuels, will replace the current Gas Appliances Directive 2009/142/EC (GAD). It will include updates and changes to the existing directive.
The scope of the Directive and the Essential Requirement will generally remain the same. Fittings, however, must be CE marked and go through the same conformity assessment procedures as appliances. Manufacturers will be required to conduct and document a risk assessment of their appliance or fittings, and must also take foreseeable issues that might occur into account. The CE-type examination certificates must have a maximum validity period of ten years from date of issue. Notified bodies are required to inform manufacturers of changes in technology and regulation that affects certification.
As a consequence all CE-type examination certificates, with reference to GAD, will have to be replaced by CE-type examination certificates with reference to GAR valid from April 21st 2018. All CE product surveillance certificates with reference to GAD will have to be replaces by CE product surveillance certificates with reference to GAR valid from April 21st 2018. No appliances or fittings can be CE-marked until the production inspection has been conducted and a surveillance certificate has been issued. All new products can only be CE-marked according to GAD until April 21st 2018. After this date all new products can only be CE-marked according to GAR.
DBI-C can issue new certificates
Type approval (Module B)
- From today DBI-C can evaluate relevant documents and issue module B certificates with reference to GAR valid from April 21st 2018
- DBI-C can use test reports issued with reference to GAD for the GAR certification unless there has been significant changes to the product or the product requirements
- DBI-C can offer guidance for making a risk assessment as part of the documentation for a GAR CE-certification
Production surveillance (Module C2/D)
- From today DBI-C can inspect your production and issue surveillance certificates with reference to GAR valid from April 21st 2018.
- If you hold a valid GAD CE production surveillance certificate issued by DBI-C it might not be necessary to make a new production inspection. In some cases an evaluation of relevant documents would be sufficient.